On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>wrote:

> > Not at all, without cryptography internet commerce would be impossible;
> but
> > I think you're underestimating the importance of protein folding, solving
> > that problem would transform our world beyond recognition.
>
> Protein folding may grant us immortality, cryptography may save us
> from spending an eternity in hell :)

I second this.  Even without solving protein folding problems,
regenerative medicine is predicted to enable us to regrow any organ
"on-demand" by 2025.  And within 30 years an average thumb drive will have
the capacity to store an entire brain scan in sufficient detail to serve as
a backup of you.  I think mind uploading to non-biological substrates is
the more likely future for most individuals as opposed to spending eternity
in a fragile limited inefficient physical body, in which case solving
protein folding is of little importance, but solving information security
problems is crucial for our long term survival if we live as software.

Jason