On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 19, 2013  Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:
>
>  > Protein folding may grant us immortality, cryptography may save us from
>> spending an eternity in hell :)
>>

> Excellent, I wish I'd said that. But Quantum Mechanics can give as well as
> take, even a Quantum Computer couldn't break a message properly encoded
> with quantum cryptology, it would be a secure as the laws of physics.

Quantum cryptography is far less useful than the kind of cryptography we
enjoy today.  Quantum cryptography requires dedicated direct fiber optic
links (or direct line of sight) and it provides no mechanism for
authentication.  All it guarantees is that you can detect whether or not
the link is being tapped.  Unfortunately such a scheme doesn't work across
interconnected networks such as the Internet.

Jason