On 27 May 2013, at 23:18, John Mikes wrote:

Bruno:
do you indeed exclude the "other" animals from being selfconcious?

?
No, not at all. My current feeling (for what is worth) is that consciousness begins with the bacteria, plants and all animals. And self-consciousness arise already with the invertebrates, like the cuttle fish, the octopus, some spiders. Of course those animals don't actually exploits the Löbianity (the self-consciousness level) a lot.

or - having a logic on their own level? Or any other trait we assign (identify?) for humans - in our terms?

Humans have far more universal layers, and above all, they have developed languages, and words kill worlds more than bullets. In a sense the human neocortex is a field of battles between many universal memes, but then it is nothing compare to the internet tomorrow. You can see internet as a neo-neo-cortex.

Life can only complexifies, fro the same reason that arithmetic, seen from inside, is inconceivably complex.

A question about plants (rather: about being conscious):
you may feel free to define 'being conscious' in human terms, or mammal (etc.) terms, but the "response" plants exude to information (circumstances, impact. etc.) shows reactivity we may appropriate to us humans.

So do not deny consciousness from fellow DNA-bearing plants.

No, I am very open to the idea that plant are conscious, but it is so hard to understand for some people, that I do not insist. I am not sure if that consciousness "operates" on the same scale as our own.

How about the DNA-not-bearing other creatures? (crystals, stones, water, impact you may call energy, - whatever?)
Anthropocentric? zoocentric? phitocentric? what-CENTRIC?

Some quasi-cristal perhaps. But keep in mind that I assume comp, so some computational state must be represented. Without DNA or computer, there might be entities that we don't detect, and the question begin to be a trivial "yes", as a material object is a projection of infinities of computational histories, some involving consciousness. In comp, besides the numbers, it is not clear in what sense a non conscious entity, like a physical stone, can "exist" (even if it is clear why they are apparent to conscious beings). It is difficult. Comp is universal machine- CENTRIC.

Bruno

JM