Evgenyi, you write very 'deep' and 'smart things.
One bothers me:
  *"..the neurological substrates that generate consciousness." *
first the anthropocentric sound (neurological?) and then the unidentified
term of Ccness.
In this same post (cf Russell and Brent) different contents are proposed,
still with (some) "awareness" type side-effect in the shadow, while I keep
propagating the final result of my 2 decade long struggle to "generalize"
the term, *used by EVERY author as THEIR theory required,* into *RESPONSE
TO (first: information, then refined into) RELATIONS. *
>From such wording all human, animal, plant, in fact all DNA-based-and not
based Ccness variations can be derived.
Neocortex etc. makes it easier. The thermostat has none of the kind, yet it
exercises the PROCESS of CCnes quite well.
We *T H I N K *in human terms with our human mind (indeed: language). The
fact that we are ignorant in following other "languages" than human does
not mean that those creatures have none. The 'crystal' decides (in its
ways) whether to build  further links, or terminate the growth, a 'mental
object' (idea?) decides(!) whether to branch out into broader domains, or
let it be as is.
Bruno's restrictions (Loeb, comp, numbers) are regrettably suppressing his
brillinat mind into limitations he does not want to transcend. Pity.
Brent sometimes observes limits of a rather physicalistic way in his
conclusions (pity, again) and Russell seems not to forget sometimes what he
wrote in his books or taught to students.
I freed up into agnosticism and accept critical denigration. It was not
easy. I had to abandon 'that' conventional science of my 50+ years lectured
on 3 continents and start my 'thinking' anew. I could not review and start
again, if a nonagenarian is wrong, he should close shop and go fishing.

John Mikes