From: Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Jun 5, 2013 1:10 am
Subject: Re: Materialism is a joke

On 05 Jun 2013, at 01:33, chris peck wrote:

>> This is a "theorem", once we suppose the mind is Turing emulable.

not actually a theorem if we don't, tho' ?

i don't understand.

More to the point, it might well be that materialism IS a joke. But Roger's
attempt to show this is no closer to the mark than Dr. Johnson kicking his
stone was to disproving idealism.

OK. And Roger is still a weak materialist, which I often call simply a
materialist: that is someone assuming some physics or some primitive matter.
But if we are machine, the physical is emergent from + and * in the natural
numbers. See my URL for the argument/proof.

It doesn't follow from the fact that materialists believe only physical things
exist that they also think all existence is objective. That is at best a straw
man at worst a non-sequiteur. By and large materialists attempt to explain
mentality in terms of physical things, not deny that there is mentality. So to
point to mentality and say 'there you go, proven materialism false' misses the
point big time.

Absolutely. See my papers if you want understand why weak materialism is
incompatible with mechanism.

Bruno