On 09 Jun 2013, at 20:48, meekerdb wrote:

On 6/9/2013 12:23 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 08 Jun 2013, at 17:55, meekerdb wrote:

On 6/8/2013 1:02 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 08 Jun 2013, at 05:15, meekerdb wrote:

On 6/7/2013 4:00 PM, Stephen Paul King wrote:
Yes, if there was a text of this it would be nice... I found this: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/fictionalism-mathematics/

A fictionalist account holds that some things are fictional, i.e. don't exist even though their complete description is self- consistent. Everythingists apparently reject this idea. Platonists seem to equate 'true' with 'exists'. If you believe 17 is prime you must believe 17 exists. I think this is wrong. If you believe that a flying pink elephant is pink, must you believe a flying pink elephant exists?

Flying pink elephants are pink and not pink. That's why flying pink elephant can't exist.

A pink elephant is pink by construction.

Exact. But the flying pink elephant are also not pink. By logic.

A flying pink elephant that is not pink would be a contradiction in terms. That's logic.

Exact. That's why a flying pink elephant that is not pink does not exist.

Or show me a flying pink elephant living on this planet which isn't not pink.

That's not logic, that empiricism.

Exact. That's why I don't take seriously flying pink elephant, and assume them not existing, making the logical pun above possible.