On 6/15/2013 5:15 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
The point of this calculation is the very favorable rate of exchange between carbon in the atmosphere and carbon in the soil. To stop the carbon in the atmosphere from increasing, we only need to grow the biomass in the soil by a hundredth of an inch per year. Good topsoil contains about ten percent biomass, [Schlesinger, 1977], so a hundredth of an inch of biomass growth means about a tenth of an inch of topsoil. Changes in farming practices such as no-till farming, avoiding the use of the plow, cause biomass to grow at least as fast as this.

I find this dubious. Sure the natural biomass/CO2 cycle is huge and so a 1% shift could cancel fossil fuel burning; the problem is that the shift has been going the other way (decreasing the land area used to accumulate biomass, also in Schlesinger 1977) and changing that will require drastic world-wide measures - which deniers like Dyson are going to delay indefinitely by providing excuses as to why no action is necessary.