On 17 Jun 2013, at 01:30, Jason Resch wrote:

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

snip

That people can initiate law is nice, though.
I would like to initiate the prohibition of prohibition. Oops :)

:-)

What is freedom of speech without freedom of thought? When we upload ourselves it will be all the more clear that making certain substances illegal is tantamount to making certain computations (thoughts, ways of thinking, and states of consciousness) illegal.

Yes, but we will have to do that. You would certainly not appreciate that I copy you, without noticing to you, and reconstitute you in my super-mac machine, and torture "you", without your consent. You will even less appreciate that my lawyer defends me by saying: "---oh but that is just "running a computation" which in any case already exist in arithmetic". The problem is that by implementing it, I make it relatively "normal" (in the Gaussian sense) to you, and your suffering will be statistically stable from your point of view. So I think you will agree that some computations, done without consent (but that's part of that computation) will and should be illegal. Freedom of thought and mind do have some limit. Freedom of speech too, like defamation, bullying, all those sort of violence is usually illegal, for not bad reasons, I think.

Now, we should not penalize non violent crimes, and as nobody complains about the "salvia computation", there should be no reason to make such computation illegal, but again, we cannot dose people, that is, making them live a computation without their consent (which is the main golden rule). For some people salvia is a bit like a torture ...