On 23 Jun 2013, at 04:29, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:

I read Sarfatti's website, Stardrive.org, too, and I am not sure he does the Leibniz idealism as you do. He seems more attuned to whether the future, or future beings from the distant future, try to influence their past. He doesn't claim its people or our descendants, just that information is being written to the present. Which in itself is a mind bending concept.

Beyond Sarfatti, is the question of Len Susskind's Boltzmann Brains. The physics described forced the creation of observers via temperature differentials, somehow, as the universe expanded. This somehow created observers, which sprang up out of no where, but had defined memories of the past and identities. It somehow reminds me of the monads you speak of, and because it is so jolly, science fictional, it appeals to me. Because my mind works this way, I have wondered if God was a Boltzmann Brain of sorts, mysterious, intelligent, etc, but was created with the Big Bang. Perhaps external to the Big Bang was something He did himself, and manifests now as a Boltzmann Brain? I also wonder if others are out there?

Boltzann brain are relatively rare, and it is unclear how they are related to the universal system running it. But if you agree with 2+2 = 4, it is only a tedious long, and not so easy, yet standard, exercise to prove the existence of infinitely many Boltzmann brain and (all) other universal numbers in arithmetic, together with all finite initial segment of computations. We are distributed in there, and what you call "physical reality" has to emerge naturally from the statistical view from inside. Boltzmann brain, as physical object are still Aristotelian chimer, based on brain-mind identity thesis. All physical brains, notably, are the result of the statistical and arithmetical interference of all computations.

I don't know if what is true, but that is testable, with a spectrum of variant according to the axiomatic of knowledge chosen.

Others are there, but "out there" is not out there.

Bruno

Mitch
-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net>
To: JACK SARFATTI <adast...@me.com>
Sent: Sat, Jun 22, 2013 6:31 am
Subject: Why do you folks keep having conferences about consciousness ? Because you have erased the subject, And Cs. = subject + object

Hi JACK SARFATTI

Consciousness = subject + object = subjective world + objective world

Nice physics, very erudite, but If there's no subject, then
there's no consciousness. But if you include a subject, the consciousness
problem is trivial. You don't to keep having conferences about the
"mystery" of consciousness. It's only a mystery if you have lweft the
subject out of the picture.

Like it or not , Idealism is the only philosophy that takes mind seriously,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealism

and Leibniz was the only philosopher to rationally solve
the mind/body problem. It's only the "hard problem"
if, like Chalmers, you are a meterialist and
subjectivity is not in your vocabulary.

Dr. Roger B Clough NIST (ret.) [1/1/2000]
See my Leibniz site at
http://independent.academia.edu/RogerClough