On Saturday, August 17, 2013 9:59:26 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

>  On 8/17/2013 2:01 PM, John Mikes wrote:
>
> Consciousness is different: it is a hoax some high hatted
> scientists/pholosophers invented to make themselves smart. No basis, every
> author uses the term for a content that fits her/his theoretical stance.
> Me, too.
> Mine is: a response to relations we get to know about. Nothing more. Not
> human/elephant/dolphin, not universe, not awareness, not nothing, just
> RESPONSE.
>

> Just *any* response?  Doesn't the response have to be something we can
> identify as intelligent or purposeful?
>
>  By anything on anything. You may even include the figments of the
> Physical World into the inventory.
>

> So do you agree that if we build a machine, such as a Mars Rover, that
> exhibits intelligence in its response then we may conclude it is
> aware/conscious?

What if you wanted to build a Mars Rover that was completely unconscious,
but still followed a sophisticated set of instructions. Would that be
impossible? If the Mars Rover detects enough different kinds of compounds
in the Martian atmosphere, is there no way of preventing it from developing
a sense of smell?

 Craig