From: "Craig Weinberg" <whatsons...@gmail.com>
Sent: 3 September 2013 2:48 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Spontaneous Brain Activity Controls Behavior

> "Finally, there was a pronounced difference in the effect of regressing
> out *spontaneous* activity on the left SMC BOLD-behavior relationship
> with instructed versus *spontaneous * force variability. With *spontaneous
> * force variability, regression of *spontaneous* (right SMC) activity all
> but eliminated the left SMC BOLD-behavior relationship. In contrast, with
> instructed force variability regressing out *spontaneous* activity
> increased the significance of the left SMC BOLD-behavior effect. This
> improvement in significance suggests that regression of *spontaneous*activity
> removed noise that was independent of the BOLD-behavior effect in
> the instructed condition. This finding is important as it shows that an
> ipsilateral response alone is not sufficient to eliminate the BOLD-behavior
> effect by regression as seen with* spontaneous* force variability.
>
> *In summary, there are three pronounced differences between spontaneous
> and instructed force variability in the current experiment: (1) the
> reversal of the time course magnitudes, (2) the difference in the timing of
> the significant BOLD-behavior effect, and (3) the difference in the effect
> of regressing out spontaneous activity. As such, we can be relatively
> confident that spontaneous and instructed force variability represent
> distinct phenomena in the current experiment. "*

The study speaks for itself. What I think it means is what the researchers
also think it means. I don't know what you could imagine it would mean
otherwise. Spontaneous is used here in an ordinary way, not in some obscure
medical jargon which somehow actually means "anything but spontaneous". The
whole experiment is about isolating spontaneous activity from other types
of activity which respond to known conditions.

You are welcome to explain exactly what you think this study shows in your
terms, but don't bother if you are just going to throw out unsupported
opinions.

Thanks,
Craig