On Monday, September 2, 2013 7:31:57 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

> On Monday, September 2, 2013 6:11:51 PM UTC-4, chris peck wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Craig
>>
>> Highlighting the word 'spontaneous' with astereixes doesnt show anything.
>> Here 'spontaneous' just means 'originates in the brain in the absence of
>> external stimuli'. This kind of activity is often refered to as 'task
>> unrelated' which is to say it is not activity that is bound to some
>> external task. Daydreaming and remembering past events are common examples.
>> You shouldn't confuse it with the idea of uncaused activity which evidently
>> you have done.
>>

> I highlighted them to show that the word is not being used in any cryptic
> specialized sense, but rather it is used often, and in the general sense of
> being wholly unanticipated. Spontaneous in this case means originating in
> the brain in the absence of external stimuli but it also means originating
> in the brain in the absence of any known cause.
>

> Absence of knowledge is not knowledge of absence.

Sure, but absence of knowledge about brain activity cannot be construed to
rule out personal intention. Spontaneous can mean exactly what it implies.

>  The study goes to considerable lengths to make this clear.. note the
> gist of the headings:
>
> Intrinsic Activity Accounts for Behaviorally Relevant Left SMC BOLD
> Variance
> Ruling Out Evoked Activity
> Ruling Out Stimulus-Evoked Activity
> Ruling Out Attention and Anticipation
>
> and finally, to directly address your claim:
>
> "Ruling Out Other Potential Confounds
>
> While sensory evoked activity and attention/anticipation are the most
> concerning potential confounds, other mechanisms should be considered. For
> example, global arousal might cause fluctuations in neuronal activity and
> behavior. *However, our BOLD-behavior effect should then be present in
> all regions or at least regions implicated in arousal (Critchley et al.,
> 2000), not localized to the somatomotor system*. Similarly, after-effects
> such as the BOLD undershoot could persist from the previous trial,
> influencing early BOLD time points and confounding our results (Buxton et
> al., 1998). However, this possibility is excluded by the lack of a
> relationship between our BOLD measurement and ISI."
>
> Do daydreaming and remembering take place in the somatomotor system?
> Probably not.
>

> HA!  You never had a daydream that produced an erection?

Are you suggesting that the presence of spontaneous activity in the
somatomotor system is more likely to indicate daydreams that cause button
pushing behavior? It couldn't be the simple, obvious cause of our own
personal intent. Must be some ridiculous sideshow.

> Another conclusion from the study:
>
> " Finally, it provides support for the intrinsic perspective on brain
> function, showing that the brain not only exhibits intrinsic organized
> fluctuations in neuronal activity, but that these fluctuations impact brain
> function and behavior in interesting and important ways."
>
> Not really anything there to support anything that you are claiming.
>

> And there's nothing to support the thesis that the brain activity is not
> part of a causal chain extending back to the embryo.

There's nothing to support the thesis that the brain activity is part of a
causal chain either. What I would say supports the thesis that the brain
activity may originate in the private, intentional experience of the
individual, is the fact that we, you know, experience private intentional
experiences as individuals...pretty much every waking moment. I'm not sure
how much of my every waking moment in 2013 is part of a causal chain
extending back to an embryo in 1968, but my guess is, not very much. I
haven't felt much like an embryo lately, but I do feel pretty certain that
I am intentionally writing these words to convey an understanding which I
intend to convey, for personal reasons, not because of any evolutionary or
neurochemical domino effects.

Craig