On 08 Sep 2013, at 00:52, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:

Yet, there's lots of scientists in public forums like this, who embrace logical positivism. I am not saying this is a good thing, but something I have experienced.

Who is logical positivist? I only see people believing in some realities, and explaining or trying to explain the appearances and measure with what is.

Postivism is dead. The first positivist condemn the microscope and deny microbes. Positivism tries to evacuate metaphysics by using a very strong metaphysical assumption. It is self-defeating.

Bruno

-----Original Message-----
From: meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sat, Sep 7, 2013 4:16 pm
Subject: Re: What gives philosophers a bad name?

That's right. I´m not joking if i say that the thing that discredited philosophers definitively was relativity, quantum mechanics and their realization: the atomic bomb. That is the event that raised physicalism, a branch of logical positivism and analytical philosophy, and discredited any other way of thinking.

If by "physicalism" you mean the meta- of physics, then it's not positivism. Positivism hasn't been considered a good meta-physics since Mach. Too many unobservable things: atoms, photons, quarks, virtual particles,... turned out to make good empirical models.