On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 5:50 AM, Alberto G. Corona <agocor...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >chris Lol.
>> A good mockig of the reductionist obsession with the details and
>> despising the big picture. For sure you have work hard to certify that John
>> has asked that three times and not more nor less.
>>

> And now, because it is so important, I am going to ask for a FOURTH time
> for somebody to tell me one thing that no nothing bozos like Popper and
> Feyerabend who like to call themselves philosophers have discovered in the
> last 2 centuries that is deep, clear, precise, unexpected and true that
> scientists had not discovered long before. Come on, these guys are your
> heroes, you should be able to think of SOMETHING!
>
>   John K Clark

You pretend this, but don't want to hear an answer.
The way you frame the question, it is impossible that John K Clark will
find whatever somebody might think to qualify, to not be bogus! Your
competitive tone indicates this. A bogosity trap where some fly is given a
seductive but poisonous trap to answer a seemingly harmless question...hmm.

I'll go for the trap, but instead of answering with some personal hero or
purely philosophical insight, I'll literally bring poison for the poisoned
trap:

deep, clear, precise, unexpected, and true + discovered in the last 2
centuries by philosopher who is "not scientist" by John Clark's arbitrary
standards?

Ok.

Aldous Huxley, writer and philosophical mystic, not "scientist" in your
book, discovers and articulates to the broad public that mescaline is
effective at eliciting a subjective experiences that harmonize with the
following kinds of philosophies, observations, and mysticisms:

*By 12:30 pm, a vase of flowers becomes the "miracle, moment by moment, of
naked existence". The experience, he asserts, is neither agreeable nor
disagreeable, but simply "is". He likens it to Meister
Eckhart<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meister_Eckhart>'s
"istigheit" or "is-ness", and Plato <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato>'s
"Being" but not separated from "Becoming". He feels he understands the
Hindu<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu>concept of
Satchitananda <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satchitananda>, as well as the
Zen <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen>
koan<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koan>that "the dharma body of the
Buddha is in the hedge" and Buddhist
suchness <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tath%C4%81t%C4%81/Dharmat%C4%81>.
In this state, Huxley explains he didn't have an "I", but instead a
"not-I". Meaning and existence, pattern and colour become more significant
than spatial relationships and time. Duration is replaced by a perpetual
present.

*
Mescaline had been discovered and isolated by Hefter, or your understanding
of "science" in 1898, but without the above link. This, thousands of years
later (at least 5600 to be precise) than Huichol and other Native American
tribes had intuitively and via bioassay verified the assignment of 1person
pov mystical experience through cactus.

Huxley verified that this class of subjective state is real, not merely
tribal superstition as "science" has held up to that point (and because of
prohibition/corruption/cowardice still does to large extent), gave a clear
dosage, and described the unexpected link between ingestion of some
molecule or plant and a set of mystic positions and experiences of various
cultures on the globe throughout the ages.

Aldous Huxley is not a personal hero of mine. But I do admire the step: "YO
wait just a second! This isn't just some provincial superstitious nonsense.
400 milligrams and funky 1st person effect is real."
Your version of "Science" did not uncover the 1 person reality of such
states in any shape or form for the last few hundred years. It didn't even
do so in the last hundred years. It took at philosophical mystic to state
this connection. PGC