________________________________
 From: Richard Ruquist <yann...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:26 AM
Subject: Re: When will a computer pass the Turing Test?

>> I also agree that the notions of free will and qualia are two different
>> things.
My best example of how qualia relates to consciousness is based on my dreams.
I dream in images which I say are very close to uninhibited/unreprocessed
consciousness.
Very often these images are of people who speak to me. I do not hear words, yet
I still get meanings.
The wordless meanings conveyed to me in dreams are what I would call qualia.

I am using Qualia to signify the subjective or qualitative properties of
experiences, which I believe is the most widely accepted definition of this
term. Each of us experiences "free will" as filtered by our own subjective
experience of it. In fact even "being" we experience in a subjective manner.
Inevitably our views on and definitions of the underlying constructs of meaning
wrapped up by these symbolic terms -- say: "free will", "self", "being" etc. is
shaped by how we experience our own inner life. My understanding of Qualia is
that it is the subjective coloration of experience, not  the degree of illusory
content versus reality based/external to the subject content of the resulting
experience

Do we all experience inner life in the same way? Or is each of our inner-verses
to some degree a unique reality that in fact partly shapes how we ourselves
experience our "self" and our sense of having "free will"

Note: I am not stating that we in fact have "free will" or even that the "self"
exists in the manner in which we perceive ourselves to exist. Who really
knows... I know I don't.

>> My waking thinking is in words and each of the words has meaning. The words
>> label the meanings which are qualia.
Free will is associated with my waking consciousness. However, I do not appear
to have even the illusion of free will in my dreams except once in a lucid
dream. But that's another story.

While on one level it's true that words are associated with and mapped to
symbolic meaning in each of us, but the resulting experiences, the more or less
rich set of feelings, sensations, memories, and emotions that are triggered by
hearing some word in some context will vary -- and often quite wildly --
between individuals. The word snake or  spider for example for many people will
trigger rather unpleasant feelings and may even cause them a vague sense of
unease; whilst in other individuals hearing that same word no such inner
emotional/memory reactions are triggered.In this sense many words are actually
quite conditioned by the subjective experiences of the hearer. So many words
are this way in fact -- our understanding of language, of life, of our own
selves is conditioned by our subjective experiences and it is hard to extricate
subjectivity from a discussion that involves the self examining the self -- IMO.

>>In waking consciousness I at least seem to sometimes have a degree of free
>>will.
My lack of free will can be exemplified by driving on a familiar route where
habit is in control.
Often I intend to deviate from the usual route but habit prevents me from doing
so and I pass right by the turn off.

That raises a question of what people intend by free will. Is free will only
the internally experienced and quite often internally verbalized sensation of
deciding on a course of action? The you are correct habitual behavior is not
free will. But what if the mind also works its free will in a pre-conscious
manner and the mind decides based on evaluating its choices -- within some the
dynamic context or frame -- and this all happens much faster than it would take
to actually render the experience for our inner observer. Is it no longer free
will.

I don't think there exists a hard and fast line between that which we decide or
believe at least that we are deciding and that which we do automatically based
on habit (e.g. running pre-compiled deterministic programs); rather I think it
is many shades of grey and that free will -- the need to make an executive
decision, which the mind cannot answer using the automatic mechanisms of
instinct and habit -- is something that MAY be going on in our brains even when
the ego is unaware that it has gone on. The mind may be exercising our free
will without necessarily going through all the trouble of rendering the
experience in a manner that the "self" perceives in its rendered reified
version of reality.

I accept that some will argue that this is not free will at all, which is how
they where they choose to set the boundary conditions.. probably based on where
they set the boundaries of the self. Is the self just the little homunculus
existing in our brains -- or does self also extend into the vast territory of
mind that the conscious mind is mostly unaware of at all?

I am suggesting that a complete discussion of free will would need to
distinguish conscious free will -- the sense of free will that is consciously
experienced by the "self" that is doing the experiencing -- and pre-conscious
free will, where the mind may in fact still be exercising "free will", but not
bothering to do all the paperwork needed in order to report it up to the head
office so to speak.

>>But I can break the habit by being very conscious and focused on deviating
>>from my usual course. I take that to be an exercise of free will. In addition
>>I take such action to be an exercise of downward or top-down causation
>>whereas the lack of free will or habit is upward or down-up causation.

>>Here is something Bruno might appreciate. Often when I smoke weed and then
>>drive home, I am lost. That is, the road that I usually drive on is totally
>>unfamiliar to me, and I feel like I am lost. So the internal map that I
>>usually follow is part of habit and the weed breaks down the habit. That in
>>my opinion is why weed is so creative. It allows us to think outside the
>>usual constraints and at the same time suggests to us just how constrained we
>>usually.
Agreed :)

>>Yet even when so constrained, when we are faced with more or less equal
>>alternatives or choices, we can exercise our free will by thinking about each
>>alternative and then making a more or less rational choice. But habit and
>>especially addiction can inhibit free choice and free will.

Agreed. Sometimes I prefer to look at habit as free will unfolding in four
dimensions. In other words before a habit is formed -- before you settle on the
best route home for example -- different choices are often explored and the
mind settles on a habitual mode of behavior only after it has made the "free
will" choice. So looking at it this way is the habit mindless automatic
behavior -- yes on one level it is (it did not involve the conscious self), but
if you look at it across four dimensions most often -- or at least fairly often
-- habits are formed only after the "self" has carefully evaluated its
selection of viable alternatives. The habit can then be said to be a shorthand
(& useful) encoding of that initial experience of free will so that when
represented with a similar problem the mind can avail itself of its past
decision making efforts.

Cheers,

-Chris
Richard,

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM, chris peck <chris_peck...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Chris

also do not “KNOW” whether or not I really do have “free will”.
But if I do not have “free will” evolution has seen fit to evolve
a very expensive – in evolutionary terms – illusion of “free
will... To argue that “free will”, “self-awareness” etc. are
just noise, of no real value or consequence goes against evolution.
Evolution doesn’t work like that. Unless it can be clearly shown
that these qualia are inevitable by-products of some other
evolutionarily vital brain function”

>You
haven't really addressed the ideas raised in my post. I'm not arguing
that the illusion of free will has no consequence I'm arguing that
there is no illusion of free will. And if there is no illusion of
free will then there is no reason to drum up some evolutionary story
to justify it.

>Since
you talk about qualia I take it that you have something other than
the concept of free will in mind. Its an important distinction
because the concept, however incoherent, clearly does exist. But
being an idea has
a history describable by semiotics or memetics, which ever floats
your boat.

>But
as for a qualitative feel of 'freeness' that goes hand in hand with
the decisions I make; these qualia are conspicuous by their absence. For
sure, when I make day to day decisions I don't feel under external
duress, but that feeling is
understandable because I am not under external duress. I am also
aware that there were alternatives available to me other than the one
I in fact choose, and
in a sense there were, but
when asked to explain my choice the lexicon of determinism comes to
the fore. I talk about the reasons and causes of my choice. I
choose salad over steak because I am worried about being fat. I am
worried about being fat because culture places value upon being slim.
Eating steak will make me fat because my metabolism is slow. My
metabolism is slow because of the genetic hand I was dealt.Nature and nurture,
neither of which I have control over,
conspire to drive my decisions.

>Others
on this list have been arguing that we are complex systems that
nevertheless lack the ability to home in on the neural mechanics of
our own decision making and therefore are unable to witness the
choices being determined. Thus we don't have a feeling of being
determined. I disagree with them. Our choices feel determined, rather
than free, in precisely the way a determinist would recognise.

>In
other words, there is no illusion of freewill to
explain and in fact when people talk
about their behavior they use
language which reflects the determinist's perspective.

>All
the best