On Monday, September 16, 2013 5:20:22 PM UTC-4, JohnM wrote:
> Dear Craig: a beautifully crafted post.

Thanks John!

> In my opinion the 'gap' is between what we (think we) know and what we
> don't (even think we know).

Yes, I agree. I'm glad that you use the (think) disclaimer on our ignorance
too. In the long run, we can't be sure that our ignorance is total about
anything, and the coherence of any part of the universe may implicate the
totality of coherence, and the coherence of coherence as well...eventually
(maybe it takes an average of a few billion years of human consciousness
equivalence, hah).

> I tried so many times examples for such gap-ideas by looking back 500,
> 1000, 3000 etc. years and compare it with our present info-status (pls! do
> not mix my 'info' term with Cl. Shannon's 'bit' - thank you) just to see,
> how inadequate our PRESENT knowledge (base?) may still be if we use some
> induction for possible anticipation of future growth.
> We don't know the entirety, have ideas only about a fraction and want to
> EXPLAIN everything within that. That gives us the 'gap'.

Sure. By turning the tables on our assumptions about the role of (x)
awareness emerging from (a) physics or (b) information though, I think that
this particular gap between those three disappears, but that is not the
case with any other combination. Only where (a) and (b) *diverge* and *
diffract** from (x) does the gap truly vanish.

 *thus providing the translucence through which coherence never loses sight
of itself forever.

> BTW thanks for using pansensitivity instead of that misleading panpsych
> misnomer.

Thanks, yes, the term panpsychism and qualia, even though they were really
helpful to me initially, I think need to be transcended. They just scream
'philosophical unrealism' to me.

> And I would not use 'universe' for the "WORLD". I use Infinite Complexity
> of which SOME items infiltrated  our 'model' of the knowables - even those
> adjusted into a format our mind(?) is capable(?) to handle. -
> I.e. our conventional sciences.

That's a bit tougher. I hesitate to use Complexity, because I think that
complexity is itself an experienced quality of sensory framing. I think
that sense itself is grounded in that capacity to discern complexity from
simplicity, and thus is even simpler than simplicity and more complex than
absolute complexity. I agree though, universe, infinity...hard to know
what's clear for which audience.

Thanks again,