On 26 September 2013 08:14, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> You argue, I think, that
>> computationalism escapes this by showing how computation and logic
>> emerge naturally from arithmetic.
>
> And how this explains the appearance of discourse on consciousness and
> matter

Yes, ISTM that this is where identity theories break down finally; the
explanation of the self-referential discourses is perhaps the most
persuasive aspect of comp. I was reflecting recently on "panpsychist
matter" theories such as those proposed by Galen Strawson (or Chalmers
in certain moods). ISTM that ideas like these run foul of the problem
of how to attribute consciousness to some "intrinsic" aspect of matter
whilst simultaneously justifying our ability to discourse about it.
Since the discourse part is rather obviously relational in nature it
is rather difficult to see how this could refer to any supposedly
"intrinsic" aspect of the relata. Any such aspect, even if it existed,
would be inaccessible to the relational level. After all, we don't
expect the characters in TV dramas to start discussing the intrinsic
qualities of the TV screen on which they are displayed!

> Then I think there is a genuine concern due to the opposition between life
> and afterlife. may be theology is not for everybody, a bit like salvia: it
> asks for a genuine curiosity, and it can have some morbid aspect. I try to
> understand why some machines indeed want to hold a contradictory
> metaphysics, even up to the point of hiding obvious fact, like personal
> consciousness.

Yes, ISTM that there's also often a kind of reflexive self-abnegation,
or a shrinking back from any idea that consciousness could have a role
to play in the story, let alone a central one. This is perhaps
understandable in the light of historically mistaken attempts to place
humanity at the centre of the cosmos. Science is therefore seen as
having finally defeated religion and superstition by taking the human
perspective entirely out of the equation. But ironically, taken to
extremes, such a one-eyed (or no-eyed) perspective may have the effect
of leaving us even more blind to our true nature than we ever were
before.

David