On Monday, October 14, 2013 6:18:17 PM UTC-4, Liz R wrote:

> On 15 October 2013 08:03, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>
> > wrote:
>

>> On Monday, October 14, 2013 12:46:34 PM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>>

>>> On 14 Oct 2013, at 17:46, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>>>
>>> A first draft that I posted over the weekend. *
>>> *
>>>
>>> *I. Trailing Dovetail Argument (TDA)*
>>>
>>> *A. Computationalism makes two ontological assumptions which have not
>>> been properly challenged:*
>>>
>>>    - *The universality of recursive cardinality*
>>>    - *Complexity driven novelty*.
>>>
>>> Both of these, I intend to show, are intrinsically related to
>>> consciousness in a non-obvious way.
>>>
>>> *B. Universal Recursive Cardinality*
>>>
>>> Mathematics, I suggest is defined by the assumption of universal
>>> cardinality: The universe is reducible to a multiplicity of discretely
>>> quantifiable units.
>>>
>>> No mathematician will  read more after this. Sorry Craig, but if you use
>>> standard terms, you need to follow the standard use.
>>>

>> I'm not trying to use standard terms, I'm trying to use precise terms. My
>> intention is to give them a new and unprecedented use, just as anyone
>> breaking new ground uses language in a new way.
>>

> They laughed at Copernicus ... they laughed at Stephenson ... they laughed
> at Edison ...
>
> Seriously though, it might be a good idea to invent new terms if you need
> them, rather than using existing ones in a new and potentially confusing
> way.
>
> (Mind you I get confused with the existing ones used in the normal way,
> but that's another story.)

Thanks, I appreciate that, but when I invent new terms, people complain
that I am making up words. I don't think there is any way to introduce
radically new concepts without irritating those who identify personally
with their mastery of the old concepts.

Since I'm commenting on computationalism it seems like it should be fairly
clear that I am using terms analytically rather than narrowly. I'm pointing
out what computationalism does not explicitly say, but what its implicit
assumptions are.

Craig