On 20 October 2013 12:15, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, October 19, 2013 6:31:23 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:
>>
>> On 20 October 2013 00:53, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Free will is not about an inability to predict your own decisions, it is
>> > about a desire to directly dictate perceived conditions, and an
>> > expectation
>> > of the effectiveness of that desire.
>>
>> And that too is compatible with randomness or determinism.
>

> Only from the retrospective view (from which anything can automatically be
> justified). Prospectively, I can think of no plausible reason for any such
> desire or expectation to arise from a random or deterministic universe. Why
> would it, and how could it?

I don't see how that constitutes any sort of argument. Does the fact
that every human naturally thinks the Earth is flat mean the Earth is
in fact flat, on the grounds that there would otherwise be no reason
for such a belief to be so widespread? Does the fact that every
culture has come up with religious beliefs mean God exists?

--
Stathis Papaioannou