That interpretation of the signal picked up by that dectector in Hannover
has also subsequently been disputed by ESA measurements of gamma ray
polarization from distant gamma ray bursts. If as these measurements seem to
suggest the universe is not pixelated then anything that relies on the
universe being pixelated must also get a close re-examination to see if they
withstand these apparent highly accurate measurements of distant gamma ray
burst polarization -- or rather the apparent lack of any harmonization of
the polarization induced by a granular nature of spacetime, with such
granularization apparently excluded down to much smaller scales than
previously reached.
So I am left still asking myself the question is the universe granular or
not -- the ESA experiment seems to suggest it is not down to the scale of
10^-48 meters (by comparison the size of a single proton is around 1.6 X 10^
-15 meters, which is inconceivably huger than the previous number)

Quoting from their press release:
" By examining the polarisation of gamma-ray bursts as they reach Earth, we
should be able to detect this graininess, as the polarisation of the photons
that arrive here is affected by the spacetime that they travel through. The
grains should twist them, changing the direction in which they oscillate so
that they arrive with the same polarization. Also, higher energy gamma rays
should be twisted more than lower ones."

 "However, the satellite detected no such twisting - there were no
differences in the polarization between different energies found to the
accuracy limits of the data, which are 10,000 times better than any previous
readings. That means that any quantum grains that exist would have to
measure 10^-48 meters or smaller."

In the European Space Agency press release, Philippe Laurent said the find
"ruled out some string theories and quantum loop gravity theories."
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/07/06/137634397/physicists-almost-c
ertain-the-universe-is-not-a-hologram