On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 7:17 AM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> computer consciousness and artificial intelligence are impossible.

I believe that maintaining that computers can't be conscious is wrong but I
can't prove it. But maintaining that a computer can't be intelligent is
utterly ridiculous and I can prove it.

> Example: Computer code. Artificial intelligence. Third person singular.

Example: Neural signals. Biological intelligence. Third person singular.

> Example: Human perception. Human intelligence. First person singular.

Example: Computer perception. Computer intelligence. First person singular.

> Computers cannot simulate human activities or experiences or
> consciousness because they have to deal in code, which consists of
> instructions or descriptions. Computers cannot deal in knowledge by
> experience, so they cannot experience,
> produce experiences, or understand experiences.

Biological brains cannot simulate computer activities or experiences or
consciousness because they have to deal in code which does NOT even
consists of instructions or descriptions but are just signals sent by one
neuron that change the activity of another neuron. Biological brains cannot
deal in knowledge by experience, so they cannot experience, produce
experiences, or understand experiences.

  John K Clark