On 11/29/2013 3:18 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 4:57 AM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>
wrote:

if GR requires dark matter to work, and if we can't observe dark matter,
doesn't this mean that GR is falsified?

If Dark Matter really isn't there then that would indeed falsify General
Relativity; but the theory that Dark Matter really isn't there is itself
falsified by observations of the Bullet Cluster.

   John K Clark
Thanks John, and also Richard, Brent and Liz.

I know my questions are very naive, but the following occurs to me
(and I'm sure this has been debated to death by physicists): why is it
assumed that this phenomena is caused by some type of matter?

First, that isn't just assumed. Other theories to explain it have been put forward, e.g. modifications of GR. But so far they have all been invalidated by observations, whereas the hypothesis that it is some kind of matter that interacts only (or almost only) via gravity has survived an increasing variety of observations.

As far
as I understand, QM hasn't been reconciled with GR gravity. Isn't this
+ dark matter a sign that there's something fundamental we don't
understand yet?

There's certainly somethings we don't understand yet. Whether dark matter is 'fundamental', in the sense that QM and GR are fundamentally in conflict, is possible but not supported by any data yet.

Brent

Or maybe this is the sense in which "dark matter" is
already used, and I'm worrying too much about the word "matter"...

Telmo.