On 06 Dec 2013, at 20:23, meekerdb wrote:

On 12/6/2013 10:17 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
There is no "science". There are only field of inquiries, and humans having a scientific attitude. Scientific attitude is field independent. Research can be refrained only by abuse of authority. Genuine believer hides nothing and don't fear reason.

This is really hilarious. On the one hand you want to claim everybody is religious by redefining religion to mean any belief.

Not *any* belief. belief in botany concerns plants. Belief in theology concerns the fundamental reality/truth. In science, belief are admitted as being hypothesis. they are not dogma. Why can we not be non dogmatic in theology? Why do you defend a statu quo with the institutions?

Then you want to say there is no science - it's just an attitude. Like my attitude that the refrigerator I left in the kitchen is still there.

Yes.

Since I believe it's there that must be a dogma of my religion.

If you take that to be an absolute non doubtable truth, it will be.

It can't be scientific knowledge because that doesn't exist.

Indeed.

"Philosophy is the systematic abuse of terminology invented for the purpose."--- Arthur Koestler

OK. But again, this overgeneralizes. But in some university, philosophy is used indeed to demolish scientific work by the appeal to philosophers personal conviction. Theology should go back to academy, and philosophy should go back home. Perhaps.