On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Clearly programmes don't have to be deterministic. They could contain a
> source of genuine randomness, in principle.

That source, if it is within the program, would necessarily be
deterministic.  If it is external to the program, then it is more properly
treated as an input to the program rather than a part of the program itself.

In practice, computers draw on sources of environmental noise such as
delays between keystrokes, timing of the reception of network traffic, and
delays in accessing data off of hard drives, etc. These steps are necessary
precisely because programs cannot produce randomness on their own.

Jason