On 12/27/2013 7:26 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net <mailto:edgaro...@att.net>> wrote:

    Jason,

    Answers to your 3 questions.

    1. No.

If there are no faster-than-light (FTL) influences, then how does your interpretation address the EPR paradox ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPR_paradox )? As a previously mentioned, according to Bell's theorem, there is only one known solution to the paradox that does not involve FTL influences, and that is Everett's theory of many-worlds.

That's not really true. If you look at the wikipedia table that you cited, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretations_of_quantum_mechanics you see that Popper's, time symmetric, many-minds, consistent histories, and the relational interpretation are all local, i.e. no FTL. To that I would add the purely epistemic "non-intepretation" of Peres and Fuchs.

    2. Determined by which observer? The cat is always either dead or alive.
It's just a
    matter of someone making a measurement to find out.

So are you saying that before the measurement the cat is neither alive nor dead, both alive and dead, or definitely alive or definitely dead? If you, (and I think you are), saying that the cat is always definitely alive or definitely dead, then about about the radioactive atom? Is it ever in a state of being decayed and not decayed? If you say no, it sounds like you are denying the reality of the superposition, which some interpretations do, but then this leads to difficulties explaining how quantum computers work (which require the superposition to exist).

Superposition is just a question of basis. An eigenstate in one basis is a superposition in another.

    3. Of course quantum computers are possible. Simple examples already exist,
but
    fundamentally all computations take place in logical information space, as
I've
    described before in a number of posts.

If a quantum computer can factor a randomly generated semi-prime of 1,000,000 digits, where is the computation for this being performed? This is a computation that is so complex that no conventional computer (even the size of the universe) could solve this problem if given a trillion years, yet a device that could fit on your desk could solve it in less than a second. If the exponentially exploding states in the superposition are not really there, there is apparently no explanation at all for where the result of the computation comes from.

However, keep in mind that all this computation takes place in this world, otherwise the processes could not interfere and converge to a (probable) answer.

Brent

    However I don't think the answers to these questions will help you
understand the
    theory. Refer to my other topic on this group titled "Yes, my book does
cover
    quantum reality", or refer to the book itself, or I can explain further....

Thanks. I may not have time to read your book for some time, so for now I would prefer to proceed by e-mail, at least until some resolution is reached. I appreciate the time you have spent so far in answering my questions.

Jason