On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>>>

>>>  So then when is the system not in a superposition?
>>>

>>>  When it's an incoherent mixture of pure states.
>>>

>>  What makes it incoherent though?
>>

>>  If the density matrix is not a projection operator, i.e. rho^2 =/= rho,
>> it's incoherent.
>>
>> But really I just meant that in theory there is a basis in which any
>> given pure state is just (1,0,0,...).  In theory there is a 'dead&alive'
>> basis in which Schrodinger's cat can be represented just like a spin-up
>> state is a superposition is a spin-left basis.
>>

>  So if someone keeps alternating between measuring the spin on the y
> axis, and then the spin on the x axis, are they not multiplying themselves
> continuously into diverging states (under MWI)?  Even though these states
> only weakly interfere, are they not still superposed (that is, the
> particles involved in a simultaneous combination of possessing many
> different states for their properties)?
>

> Right, according to Everett, the world state becomes a superposition of
> states of the form |x0,x1,...> where each xi is either +x, -x, +y, or -y.
> And per the Bucky Ball, Young's slit experiment, the spins don't have to
> observed by anyone.  If the silver atom just goes thru the Stern-Gerlach
> apparatus and hits the laboratory wall, the superposition is still
> created.  If it just goes out the window and into space...it's not so clear.
>

>>   An electron in a superposition, when measured, is still in a
>> superposition according to MWI. It is just that the person doing the
>> measurement is now also caught up in that superposition.
>>
>>  The only thing that can destroy this superposition is to move
>> everything back into the same state it was originally for all the possible
>> diverged states, which should practically never happen for a superposition
>> that has leaked into the environment.
>>

>>  In Everett's interpretation a pure state can never evolve into a mixture
>> because the evolution is via a Hermitian operator, the Hamiltonian.
>> Decoherence makes the submatrix corresponding to the system+instrument to
>> approximate a mixture.  That's why it can be interpreted as giving
>> classical probabilities.
>>

>  Are there pure states in Everett's interpretation? Doesn't one have to
> consider the wave function of the universe and consider it all the way into
> the past?
>

> I suppose the universe could have started in a mixed state, but most
> cosmologists would invoke Ockham and assume it started in a pure state -
> which, assuming only unitary evolution, means it's still in a pure state.
> Of course since inflation there can be entanglements across event horizons,
> so FAPP that creates mixed states.
>

>  In any case, returning to the original point that began this tangent, do
> agree that QM interpretations which are anti-realist (or deny the reality
> of the superposition) are unable to describe where the intermediate
> computations that produce the answer to a quantum computation, take place?

And the quantum computer is a coherent, long-lived superposition with a
number of real states exponential with the number of its qubits.  If
superpositions are real and long-lived, and involve an arbitrary number of
particles, it seems there is no reason that people could not also be in
superpositions.

>  What would Fuchs say about quantum computation?
>

> It's a physical process whose outcome is predicted by QM.

We limit the power and effectiveness our own theories and stifle progress,
when we don't put forward theories that make bold statements about reality.
 Bohr's (and seemingly Fuch's) positions are so conservative as to never be
falsified, but they also inhibit progress and new understandings. For
example, general purpose quantum computers may not have been invented had
Deutsch not been operating under Everett's paradigm.

"You are the only contemporary physicist, besides
Laue<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_von_Laue>,
who sees that one cannot get around the assumption of reality, if only one
is honest. Most of them simply do not see what sort of risky game they are
playing with reality—reality as something independent of what is
experimentally established." --- Einstein in a letter to Schrodinger

Jason