All,

starting a new topic on the Nature of Truth since this is an important and
separate issue from previous discussions.

1, it is impossible to directly know the external fundamental reality, we
know external reality only filtered through the structures of our own
minds. What we really know is only our own mental model of external reality
which is provably very very different than actual external reality.

2, However we can easily prove that we do know external fundamental reality
to an extent sufficient for us to function reasonably effectively within
it. If we didn't have some actual true knowledge of external reality we
could not even function within it and thus could not exist. So our very
existence in actual reality demonstrates we do have some true knowledge of
it. (This true knowledge consists of snippets of logical structure rather
than the physical world we believe it to be.)

3. External reality is a consistent logical structure. It is computed, and
for it to be computed it must follow consistent logical rules.

4. Therefore the only real test of truth is its internal logical
consistency over the entire scope of knowledge. We can not directly compare
our knowledge to the external world because it is filtered through the
structures of our own senses and minds, but we do know that our knowledge
is truth to the extent it is internally self-consistent over maximum scope.

5. In fact this is the actual working basis of scientific method,
forensics, our successful functioning in daily life and in all human
endeavors that seek truth. Namely is the body of knowledge in question
internally consistent. If it is not then something is UNtrue.

This is the Consistency Theory of Knowledge. Consistency over maximum scope
IS truth, the only truth possible to know.

There is and can be no direct knowledge of truth, there is only consistency.

This applies to all types of truth, from the logical structures in daily
life moment to moment, as well as to knowledge of a "Final Theory".

There is however one important exception. Our mental model of reality is
part of the actual external reality, and we do have direct knowledge of
that. The truth of that is the thing itself. But its truth is an internal
mental model of external reality, not the external reality it pretends to
be.

Edgar