Liz,

It's easy to demonstrate that consciousness is NOT its contents by the
simple mental exercise of meditation in which the contents of consciousness
are diminished to the point of vanishing. The more consciousness is emptied
of individual contents, the clearer and brighter it becomes. Therefore
there is clearly something called consciousness itself in which its
contents become conscious by arising within it.

Also the contents of consciousness continually vary, but the fact of
consciousness is persistent and continuous more or less the same. Therefore
consciousness cannot be its contents.

This is quite clear to anyone who has experienced it....

Edgar