Dear Edgar, you use words in your nicely flowing text that raise questions
in my 'mind'(?) while reading them.

*Consciousness "ITSELF"?* what may be your take on consciousness (not
itself)? I mean: the term Ccness as used by diverse authors in diverse
contexts applied to their ways of thinking. (As I wrote several times
including this list as well: my take is:
*Response to Relations*, changed from Response to information, because info
became hard to handle in general sense. I have no definition for
'relations' because our (infinite) inventory is incomplete (to put it
mildly). No mind(?), no life, no human/animal included. I try to step out
from the human-identified domains of Nature (The Everything) in spite of
our ignorance.

*Mind - *we use the word freely*. I.e.* free from understanding it. "Our
mentality" is not much better. "Brainwork" has yet to be linked to
'thought' (thinking) beyond a blank "That's It". Our physical measurements
do not specify mental domains.

*How does consciousness arise from a physical world? * - Well, does it
indeed? Do you have an adequate definition for a 'physical world'? with all
the beliefs and suppositions (axioms etc.) we (scientists?) hold for
'physical'? Does an astrocyte have to be green to pertain to music and
orange to refer to history? A neuron labelled? We ASSIGN functions because
we need them. Then, - maybe - we correct ourselves.

Your par "*The key to the solution..." *is above my head*. *What is an
"unconscious observer"? In my agnosticism EVERY item recognizing a relation
is an observer. Thermostat and all.

*"...things become conscious..."  r*ight. They respond to relations. In the
next (heavy) par:

*reality *by itself is a toughy: what do we know about it? if you
epithetize reality then you may say anything about that kind.

*Information computations - *e.g. G.B.Shaw was Irish (information). How
would your 'brain'  compute this?.

*ELO: This is the best, most convincing theory of consciousness of which
I'm aware. But like most of my theories it requires a big paradigm shift in
understanding since it's a completely new interpretation of reality.*
I don't argue, just did not find it. Not the promised 'theory' - not the
interpretation of reality. Maybe it is my fault not having read your
book.Mea culpa.

Dear Edgar, I am not your opponent here: I am sure many list-members (if
they take the time) will respond neagitvely to my ideas exposed in this
(and other) posts. You wrote your own stuff, I write my own one. Liz will
hit us both on the head.

Best regards and a Happy New Year for ALL

John Mikes