On 1/3/2014 11:38 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 2:34 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 1/3/2014 1:14 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
    Let's say that I built a computer system and showed you the theoretical
basis for
    a claim that it will be self-aware. Will you switch it on? I am serious!

    Why not? The real question is "do we have the right to switch it off?"

    If you switch it off, it just continues in another branch of the
multiverse. So how
    are you going to decide whether it's better or worse to switch it off?  And
if we
    give it political rights, what will be the punishment for violating them by
    switching it off?...switching it back on?

To be fair, it should be whatever punishment is fair for knocking you out with chloroform and then placing you in a medically induced coma for some unspecified time period.

Is there a penalty now for doing that to a dog?  A mouse?