On 04 Jan 2014, at 09:28, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/4/2014 12:18 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 03 Jan 2014, at 20:34, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/3/2014 1:14 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Let's say that I built a computer system and showed you the theoretical basis for a claim that it will be self-aware. Will you switch it on? I am serious!

Why not? The real question is "do we have the right to switch it off?"

If you switch it off, it just continues in another branch of the multiverse.

That will not consolate the normal friends in the normal reality, and also, you don't know in which branch of the multiverse (if that exists), or the multi-dream, it will continue.

But, at least in your theory, it will necessarily continue and in many "worlds".

It is a theorem, in a weak form of the oldest theory on the matter.

So how are you going to decide whether it's better or worse to switch it off?

Well, I am personally against death penalty. So if we are incline to think that some machine think: switching it off is not allowed, unless we are in a state of legitimate defense.

But being switched off is not like death, it's like anesthetic, or suspended animation, or concussion. The analog of death would be erasing the memory.

OK. I interpreted "switching of" as done irreversibly. My fault. Then there is no problem at all. It is a "delay of reconstitution", and in this case, by construction, it is done at the right (normal) substitution level (which conserves the normality). So no problem at all, unless you prevent the machine to find a job or something by switching it off momentarily ...

And if we give it political rights, what will be the punishment for violating them by switching it off?...switching it back on?

Machine's right is a complex question, but once they ask and fight for, we better should listen to them. the case is not fundamentally different than with humans.

I'm not sure they have to ask. Animals don't ask, and yet we extend some rights to them.

Human empathy.

Brent
“The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but "Can they suffer?”
   ---Jeremy Bentham

Nice quote.