On 1/9/2014 9:45 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 6:59 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com
<mailto:lizj...@gmail.com>> wrote:

            >>> I'm arguing that time is symmetric,

        >> Good luck winning that argument when nearly everything we observe,
from
        cosmology to cooking, screams at us that time is NOT symmetric.

    > Not at the quantum level,

If so then obviously "the quantum level" is not the end of the story.

            > it was actually discovered before Bell died that there's a
perfectly
            reasonable explanation for how his inequality can be violated that
retains
            locality and realism.

        >> Baloney.

    > If that's the best refutation you can come up with, John Bell and Huw
Price have
    nothing to fear.

They have nothing to fear from me or the truth. If retro-causality exists then things are not local and not realistic either, so that possibility has not been ruled out experimentally.

"Retro-causality" is always present in a deterministic system because boundary conditions can be in the future instead of the past. Newtonian mechanics included "retro-causality" and was still realistic (in the sense of only one definite result). MWI is the same, deterministic and one definite result - except the definite result includes non-communicating "worlds" including the observers. Maybe it should be called the "hidden worlds theory".

Brent

But the common sense view that most people, including Einstein, had about reality, that things are realistic and local, CAN be ruled out. And of all the people on the planet John Bell would be the last to disagree that if his inequality is violated then things are not local or not realistic or not either.

 John K Clark