On 1 January 2014 12:05, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  Mark A. Rubin<http://arxiv.org/find/quant-ph/1/au:+Rubin_M/0/1/0/all/0/1>
> (Submitted on 14 Mar 2001 (v1 <http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0103079v1>),
> last revised 10 May 2001 (this version, v2))
>
> Bell's theorem depends crucially on counterfactual reasoning, and is
> mistakenly interpreted as ruling out a local explanation for the
> correlations which can be observed between the results of measurements
> performed on spatially-separated quantum systems. But in fact the Everett
> interpretation of quantum mechanics, in the Heisenberg picture, provides an
> alternative local explanation for such correlations. Measurement-type
> interactions lead, not to many worlds but, rather, to many local copies of
> experimental systems and the observers who measure their properties.
> Transformations of the Heisenberg-picture operators corresponding to the
> properties of these systems and observers, induced by measurement
> interactions, "label" each copy and provide the mechanism which, e.g.,
> ensures that each copy of one of the observers in an EPRB or GHZM
> experiment will only interact with the "correct" copy of the other
> observer(s). The conceptual problem of nonlocality is thus replaced with a
> conceptual problem of proliferating labels, as correlated systems and
> observers undergo measurement-type interactions with newly-encountered
> objects and instruments; it is suggested that this problem may be resolved
> by considering quantum field theory rather than the quantum mechanics of
> particles.
>
>   Comments: 18 pages, no figures. Minor changes  Subjects: Quantum
> Physics (quant-ph)  Journal reference: Found. Phys. Lett. 14 (2001)
> 301-322  Report number: WW-10184  Cite as:
> arXiv:quant-ph/0103079<http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0103079>
>
> just moves the problem from FTL signaling to FTL labeling.

Where is the FTL? I don't recall any suggestion that the "contagion" of
entangled systems spreading themeselves in the MWI involves anything FTL.
In fact, it's generally assumed to be very, very STL (unless light itself
is involved). At great distances from the laboratory, one imagines that the
superposition caused by whatever we might do to cats in boxes would decay
to the level of noise, and fail to spread any further. So a gaxlaxy (say)
might be in a MWI bubble of superpositions that fails to split neighbouring
galaxies for billions of years, because the difference between them is
undetectable. Or maybe even planets.... What difference would it make to
anyone in M31 if the Nazis had won WW2? (after the light travel time had
elapsed, I mean. Maybe a few different radio signals could be picked up, if
anyone pointed an antenna in the right direction...)