On 15 January 2014 21:22, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 14 Jan 2014, at 21:22, Jason Resch wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:
>
>> John,
>>
>> The simplest and by far most likely answer is to assume that the world we
>> appear to live in IS the real actual world (though heavily filtered through
>> our own internal simulation as I've explained before). To assume otherwise
>> in the absence of any actual evidence is a waste of time. We can imagine we
>> live in some simulation by some super beings and that may or may not be a
>> possibility (I maintain there will always be a way to figure that out), but
>> there is no evidence at all that it's an actuality or even remotely likely.
>>
>> Until there is some actual evidence it's just sci fi and not the proper
>> subject of science...
>>

> Its looks like you still haven't gotten around to reading the simulation
> argument (despite my having posted it multiple times). If you assert X, and
> someone says, wait a moment doesn't Y imply not X, you can't just pretend Y
> isn't there and keep asserting X.
>
> Assuming that Edgar is rational.  That does not seem clear to me.

Nor to me. My own pet theory is that Edgar is an AI programme being tested
out on the Everything List by a professor of cognitive science. This would
explain a lot of things, for example his habit of not answering questions,
or when he does of answering them in a manner that shows he doesn't
understand them, or of giving out one of a series of canned responses
("I've already explained that" "Read my book" "That's obvious" etc). Also,
some his answers are barely parsable as English, which would make more
sense if they are being constructed by a computer programme in response to
a few key words.

And his behavioural characteristics - arrogance, lack of humour except at
the expense of others, overbearing ego, etc - are all features that would
be easier to programme than a more rounded personality.

I think we're experiencing a Turing test. (Maybe I have to say "You're a
programme written by a psychology class, and I claim my $5!")