Snarkiness is also popular amongst the physicists in the world, for its how
they intimidate each other into submission. If you can't prove a point, use
ridicule (Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals #4).

-----Original Message-----
From: freqflyer07281972 <thismindisbud...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Jan 15, 2014 2:52 pm
Subject: Re: Edgar, Personal Attacks, and the Real Consequences of Comp

So, just to run with this for a few moments (which will be lost in time, like
tears in rain... ;-)

... if it is obvious to Edgar that everything he says is true, for example the
claim that:

"When people die they vanish from existence. To believe otherwise may be
comforting, but it's just superstition.There must be a living human body to
produce a human consciousness. "

... but many other (highly educated, scientific, philosophical) human beings
disagree that it is obvious and/or can't see what is plainly apparent to only
one of them, what should that single person who has (by some miracle of the
universe) been given privileged access to the unvarnished truth of the universe
do about it?  Should they:

a) call people who disagree with them "too stupid to get it"
b) revise their beliefs concerning the "obvious" nature of the truth they think
they possess
c) suspect on the basis of the responses they are getting from otherwise
intelligent people that perhaps their unique insight is in error
d) ignore all claims to the contrary and persist in their beliefs
e) patiently re-explain, in a different way, using different analogies, the
substance of their claim and
f) be willing to revise their beliefs on the basis of what others tell them,
assuming they do not have an overexaggerated confidence in their own ability to
discern the truth

These are not mutually exclusive options.

It seems to me Edgar has done a lot of option "a" and option "d" -- "e" has not
been used because no analogies, thought experiments, or formal apparatus has
been offered for honest inspection- merely a series of re-assertions that "it
is quite obvious that X, and I don't understand why no one else gets it" -- the
rest of the options are also not evident.

I'd be interested to get some feedback on this question, as I think
self-delusion and self-deception are germane to any discussion of "Everything
theories", and this is also why it is the domain of so many cranks.