On 15 Jan 2014, at 20:14, Edgar L. Owen wrote:

Liz, (and Dan)

When people die they vanish from existence. To believe otherwise may be comforting, but it's just superstition..

In your "theory" perhaps. But then "my body" is not Turing emulable. Comp must be false.

There must be a living human body to produce a human consciousness.

That is true. But if the body do the "human" part of that consciousness, consciousness itself is not the result of the computations, but of all computations, if not all arithmetic (which is not Turing emulable).

The body does not produces consciousness, it only make it possible for consciousness to forget the "higher self", and deludes us (in some sense) in having a "little ego" embedded in some history.

Bruno

Edgar