Natural selection can favour ‘irrational’ behaviour
J. M. McNamara1, P. C. Trimmer2 and A. I. Houston2

1School of Mathematics, University of Bristol, University Walk, Bristol BS8
1TW, UK
2School of Biological Sciences, University of Bristol, Woodland Road,
Bristol BS8 1UG, UK
e-mail: pete.trim...@gmail.com
Abstract

Understanding decisions is the fundamental aim of the behavioural sciences.
The theory of rational choice is based on axiomatic principles such as
transitivity and independence of irrelevant alternatives (IIA). Empirical
studies have demonstrated that the behaviour of humans and other animals
often seems irrational; there can be a lack of transitivity in choice and
seemingly irrelevant alternatives can alter decisions. These violations of
transitivity and IIA undermine rational choice theory. However, we show
that an individual that is maximizing its rate of food gain can exhibit
failure of transitivity and IIA. We show that such violations can be caused
because a current option may disappear in the near future or a better
option may reappear soon. Current food options can be indicative of food
availability in the near future, and this key feature can result in
apparently irrational behaviour.
Source: The Royal Society [Open Access Paper]
http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/10/1/20130935.abstract?cpetoc