On 18 January 2014 17:38, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What are your thoughts regarding
> compatibilism<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibilism>?
> Do you consider it a cop-out?
>
> It appears to say that "free will" is being able to act without
interference from others, or words to that effect. This is a nice
straightforward uncontentious definition that I can't see anyone objecting
to, in itself.

Another uncontentious definition is "behaving unpredictably" which people
do all the time. Indeed it's probably the fact we can't predict our own
actions, never mind anyone else's (except within narrow margins) that gave
rise to the notion of some mysterious metaphysical (indeed Biblical) notion
called free will in the first place.

When people start reading much more into it than the above, however, it
becomes nonsense imho.

"Free will is what God gave you so he could torture you if you break his
commandments!"

So thanks a bunch for that, God -- and I'm not too happy about this "guilt"
thing, either.