On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 02:32:29PM +1300, LizR wrote:
> On 18 January 2014 13:01, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Exactly. Quantum superposition within microtubules seems an unlikely
> > source of computational power within the brain. Quantum randomness is
> > more likely to occur due to thermal fluctuations across the synaptic
> > gap, and I quite agree with Edgar that it is an essential part of the
> > only sensible conception of free will (the ability to act irrationality).
> >

> Hm, if that's a sensible conception of free will, those of us who think the
> concept is meaningless have nothing to fear.
>
> So, does it mean, to act irrationally? If someone commits an apparently
> irrational act (suicide, say) there is presumably always a reason that to
> them appears rational, or at least that appear to be what they have decided
> to do. (Assuming they have control over their actions and understand what
> they are doing, of course.)

An act (such as your suicide example) that resulted from in depth
reflection and analysis is still a rational act, albeit for a rather
peculiar utility.

Irrational acts would be those where no such analysis took place -
such as acting on a hunch, or going by gut instinct, or just going
beserk.

Surprisingly, perhaps, such acts sometimes deliver payoffs to the actor.

Cheers