On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 02:37:25PM -0800, meekerdb wrote:
> On 1/19/2014 2:14 PM, Russell Standish wrote:
> >Absolutely. As I said to Liz, being irrational is sometimes the best
> >way to get ahead.
> So if you define rational as always making the best move to get
> ahead you are trapped in a contradiction - which comes from starting
> with a poor definition of "rational" (no doubt adapted from
> economists).

No - it is always making the optimal move according to its utility.

There may well be irrational strategies with better payoff in the
longer term - eg in iterated games. cf discussion of the tit-for-tat
strategy in the iterated prisoners dilemma, whereas the rational move
is to always defect.

Principal, High Performance Coders