Dear LizR,

 :
"the idea of time as a steady progression from past to future is wrong. I
know very well we feel this way about it subjectively. But we're the
victims of a confidence trick..."

  What other implication does Hoyle's phrasing have? His entire discussion
of the pigeon holes is to point out that there is no a priori order of the
holes, it is a subjective delusion that we obtain because of our inability
to see the whole lot.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 6:08 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 January 2014 11:20, Stephen Paul King <stephe...@provensecure.com>wrote:
>>
>>  "'Because, like all of us in our daily lives, you're stuck with a
>>> grotesque and absurd illusion.'
>>>
>>> 'How's that?'
>>>
>>> 'The idea of time as an ever-rolling stream. The thing which is supposed
>>> to bear all its sons away. There's one thing quite certain in this
>>> business: the idea of time as a steady progression from past to future is
>>> wrong. I know very well we feel this way about it subjectively. But we're
>>> the victims of a confidence trick...
>>>
>>> Fred Hoyle, "October the First is Too Late"
>>>

>> HA! Hoyle here undermines the idea that we can obtain time merely from
>> the well ordering of integers! I focus on the action, ever-rolling stream,
>> the "progression"; the ordering of events are the mere products of the
>> stream, not the origin of the streaming.
>>

> Hi Stephen
>
> I don't see how Hoyle undermines that idea. His numbered pigeon holes
> seems very close to it. He indicates that he doesn't consider time an
> "ever-rolling stream" and later points out that the metaphorical
> "flashlight" isn't an ordering principle, and hints that it may be
> completely irrelevant to consciousness, which is purely down to the
> contents of the pigeon holes, which are ordered according to certain
> physical laws, such as the notes in no 157 being "mainly accurate about 156
> and earlier, but vague and inaccurate about 158 onwards". He appears to be
> presenting a capsule theory of identity. Please explain how he undermines
> the idea that time is something like an ordering principle, if I've
> correctly understood that to be what you mean, and if you wouldn't mind.
>
> Also, I don't understand the significance of your statement "the ordering
> of events are the mere products of the stream, not the origin of the
> streaming". In the block universe view, the ordering of events is the
> product of the laws of physics, which determine the shapes of world-lines
> through 4D spacetime. I'm not sure what the "origin of the streaming" could
> mean in this context (the Big Bang?)
>
>  --

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King