Liz wrote Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 3:51 PM:

*The expansion of the universe was discovered in the 1920s (I think?) and a
primordial explosion was theorised by Lemaitre, but until the discovery of
the microwave background in the '60s that was only one of several competing
theories put forward to explain the cosmic expansion. The CMB radiation
(more or less) clinched it for the Big Bang, since no other theory
predicted that. (Although I believe Fred Hoyle tried to explain it with
some mechanism compatible with the Steady State, but it was too ad hoc to
be convincing to anyone else.)What I meant was that the Big Bang as the
only viable explanation for the cosmic expansion was discovered by Penzias
and Wilson in the '60s. Sorry, I should have been more precise.*

Hubble (1922) THOUGHT of the expansion and this idea 'revolutionized' the
cosmic thinking. The background radiation did indeed 'explain' the idea
from a new side. The fact that "no other idea" PREDICTED that is no proof
for it's truth. Fred Hoyl's (infinite?) ex- and im-plosion idea made
another possibility, not successfully competing with the deluge of papers
based on the Hubble brainchild, which got Nobelist support by the
background radiation (Wilson? Bell Labs?) assigned and mathematically
'matched' to the previous theories.
The BB may well be the 'only' viable(?) explanation for the cosmic
expansion (with the nightmare of the inflation, necessary for it's
viability) although there are other ideas as well.
The democracy of science, however, (multitude of papers and awards) made a
washout in favor of the BB. I mentioned the play of magnetic fields theory
- causing redshift - to M. Geller who answered one laughing word: "hoax".
I wrote a narrative circumventing the BB, not to get a Nobel, but to raise
doubts, eliminating the root-question: what was BEFORE the BB? how was and
by whom decided to celebrate the first time-fraction (sec^-42?) and
differentiate 'forces' at all? God is a good answer. Then again comes:
Where was God and what was before Her? and WHY did IT decide so? The answer
is: to please the learned physicists of the 21st c. - Not of the 14th or
-5th mind you.