On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 10:16:15PM -0800, meekerdb wrote:
On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 12:44:57PM -0800, meekerdb wrote:
Layzer of course didn't know about the holographic principle, which
implies that the maximum possible entropy increases in proportion to
the surface area of the Hubble sphere rather than the volume.  Vic
Stenger has noted that if you assume the degrees of freedom for the
vacuum are proportional to this area (in Planck units) you get the
right order of magnitude for the energy density of the cosmological
constant.

Wow! That's quite something. Did Vic ever write this up somewhere?

Cheers

It's in section 12.2 of his 2011 book "The Fallacy of Fine Tuning".

Brent

Not in a peer reviewed article, then. Mind you I don't blame him,
given the current state of peer review.

I'm unfortunately not sufficiently interested to buy the book, nor is
it available in my uni's library :(. I'll have to leave this on my
toread list.

He also mentions it here

http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy/vstenger/BookChapters/OxNoEv13.pdf

on pg 53, but without a calculation (which is very short anyway).

Brent

Cheers