On 1/7/2014 7:19 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:36 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    > Bell derived his inequality assuming QM with collapse

No he did not, Bell makes no such assumption or interpretation, in fact not one word about Quantum Mechanics is needed in his entire derivation. None zero zilch goose egg.

True. But he assumes definite measurment values at each detector. In comparing to a QM prediction that assumes that the superposition produced at the source for an EPR vanishes at the measurement, aka "collapse of the wave function. Maybe that's what you're calling "realism", but if it is it is already contrary to MWI which never produces a definite value.

I think the terms "realism" and "local" need some explication. For example many physicists consider time symmetric interactions as "local" because there are no direct spacelike interactions. That's apparently how the Wikipedia author of the page on interpretations of QM took it and I know that's how Vic Stenger thinks of it - even though he recognizes that it results in indirect spacelike influences. Similarly, I don't think it's clear what "realism" means. Does it mean single definite values for a measurement, or only the appearance to the experimenter of a single value?

Brent

And that is why even if Quantum Mechanics turns out to be wrong and is succeeded with a newer and better theory it would still be true that if things are realistic and local then Bell's inequality can NEVER BE VIOLATED, provided that high school algebra and trigonometry are valid. And that is exactly why the experimental discovery that Bell's inequality WAS VIOLATED was so fundamental and profound.

  John K Clark