John, I add a comment to my preview post.

On 11 Feb 2014, at 19:47, John Clark wrote:

Then "the 1p" is of no use to anyone and neither is "the 3-1 view" whatever the hell that is supposed to be.

It is a bit unfair, as I introduced that "3-1" notation exactly to reply to your first attempt of refutation.

But I will explain, may be for the benefits of others, the 3-1 view.

Tell me what you don't understand in the following.

We are at step 3, that is in Helsinki. I am there with you, and you will undergo the duplication. That is, you will be read, that is scanned, then annihilated, and "pasted" in W and M. Then you might both come back to Helsinki, and we can reiterate the experience.

By definition, here, actually at the start of the UDA, the 1p statements are the content written in the diary that the experiencer take with her/him.

So, of course, as you have often mentioned yourself, you are duplicated, and this means obviously that the 1p diary, contrarily to the 3p diary, is duplicated itself.

The 3-1 view is the 3p view on the 1p views, note the plural, after the duplication. A typical observation will be "the diary of the guy in W assess that he is in W, and (perhaps) that he could not have predicted that, and that the diary of the guy in M assess that he is in M and (perhaps) that he could not have predicted that".

A "3-1" view is just a description made by the observer of the experience, the one who does not enter in the box, of the experiences, and the evolution of the contents in the multiplying diaries.

The 1-view are unique, and remains unique *from* each of their points of 1p-view, as in all duplications, the guy is forced to write either W *or* M, after self-localizing himself after the localization. It is the comp equivalent of Everett's observer inability to feel the split.

So the prediction you have often made, and never clearly retracted, that you will find yourself in W and M, is a correct prediction for the 3-1 view, but that is not what is asked in Helsinki, which concerns the 1-views, or as I said the 1-1-views (the 1-view on the 1- view).

Then again, you can consult only the math part. The 3p view is axiomatized by the modal logic G, the 1-views are axiomatized by S4Grz. For example, the fact that the 1-views are equivalent with the 1-1 views can be expressed by the fact that S4Grz proves [°]p <-> [°] [°]p (with [°]p defined by []p & p, p arithmetical, and "[]" = Gödel's beweisbar).

There the 3-1 view can be handled in the bimodal logic of G and S4Grz, which is easily simulated by G, so you can handle mixture of the points of view, like for example, the 3-view: [][°]p.

But content of diary entering or not into duplication boxes is usually easier to understand than bimodal self-referential logic.

Hope this helps.