On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> > The 3-1 view is the 3p view on the 1p views, note the plural, after the
> duplication.

That is far more convoluted than it need to be, it's really not all that
complicated.  After the duplication both the Washington Man and the Moscow
Man agree that they were both the Helsinki Man at one time. A third party
observer would also agree with this. After the duplication both the
Washington Man and the Moscow Man agree that they are no longer each other.
A third party observer would agree with this too. So unlike Einstein's
thought experiments in this one everybody involved is in agreement about
everything that happened, which is why we can learn nothing from it.

> A typical observation will be "the diary of the guy in W assess that he
> is in W, and (perhaps) that he could not have predicted that,

That is incorrect, the Helsinki Man could have successfully predicted that
the Washington diary will be written by the guy in Washington.

> and that the diary of the guy in M assess that he is in M and (perhaps)
> that he could not have predicted that".

And the Helsinki Man could have successfully predicted that the Moscow
diary will be written by the guy in Moscow. But of course if you're trying
to ascertain the nature of personal identity none of this matters, it
doesn't matter if the predictions were correct or not.

> So the prediction you have often made, and never clearly retracted, that
> you will find yourself in W and M, is a correct prediction for the 3-1 view,

Yes, after it was all over and the smoke had cleared away a third party
observer will say that John Clark is in Moscow and John Clark is in
Washington.

 > but that is not what is asked in Helsinki, which concerns the 1-views,
> or as I said the 1-1-views (the 1-view on the 1-view).

If that is the question then the only answer the Helsinki Man can give is
"my first person view is of Helsinki".

  John K Clark