On 2/15/2014 7:40 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
On 16 February 2014 01:41, Craig Weinberg<whatsons...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>To extend your metaphor, in my view, since the characters in a drama can
>build an LCD screen as part of the show, but an LCD screen can't build a
>show as part of its function, it makes more sense that the drama is
>fundamental and that from an absolute perspective, it is the pixels which
>are the epiphenomenal show. The reason why it is reversed for us locally is
>that our show is nested several times within other shows which are both
>larger and smaller in scope and slower and faster in frequency. The most
>'other' of these shows is the one which appears most mechanical, as it
>includes the fastest, slowest, largest, and smallest experiences relative to
>our own - the polar opposite of our own native scope, which is by definition
>middle-range from our perspective.
As per my answer to David, the movie has meaning only to a conscious
entity. If a computer is a conscious entity it will create meaning for
itself, as humans do. You don't think a computer could do this but
that's just prejudice.

I don't disagree, but I think this formulation leaves "meaning" as mysterious and one may ask why consciousness creates meaning. I think meaning comes from being able to act in the world to realize values. And it doesn't require consciousness, at least not human like consciousness. The Mars Rover acts to fulfill a mission plan and so rocks and hills have meaning for it.