On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 03:06:40PM -0800, Edgar L. Owen wrote:
> Russell,
>
> Are you telling me only a single person, Bruno's advisor, was the judge of
> whether Bruno's paper should be awarded the prize?

I doubt X had anything to do with the award of the prize, since it was
for a PhD thesis submitted to a completely different university
(Lille) to where X is employed (ULB).

Also X was not Bruno's PhD advisor, but rather his honours advisor,
some 20 years earlier.

> And that single person
> first approved it and then rejected it when he had some dispute with Bruno?
> That sounds quite strange to me. Normally it would be a whole panel of
> judges to approve it, and the whole panel to reject it.
>
> Edgar

X clearly had sufficient influence within the ULB to convince a
committee to deem Bruno's original thesis "unreceivable". That was why
he wrote another thesis, which was accepted at Lille, and for which
the prize was awarded. It is speculation that he had anything to do
with the mysterious retraction be Le Monde, but no other hypothesis
seems to fit the facts.