On 07 Mar 2014, at 00:06, Edgar L. Owen wrote:

Russell,

Are you telling me only a single person, Bruno's advisor, was the judge of whether Bruno's paper should be awarded the prize? And that single person first approved it and then rejected it when he had some dispute with Bruno? That sounds quite strange to me. Normally it would be a whole panel of judges to approve it, and the whole panel to reject it.

All jury confronted with my thesis has been enthusiast, and apparently get the point. Even the Brussels jury. The problem has never come from any scientist, nor any member of a jury, with the exception of the literary philosopher in Brussel's jury. I did get the prize (the picture in the journal, the champaign, but the publication of the thesis, and then if the amoeba's secret where delayed, without any explanation.

Bruno

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:58:55 PM UTC-5, Russell Standish wrote:
On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 06:15:14AM -0800, Edgar L. Owen wrote:
> Ghibbsa and Bruno,
>
> Yes, a fair question. Apparently the committee decided Bruno's paper didn't
> really deserve the prize. Why was that? Some internal math error
> discovered? Some inconsistency with other math theory? Or just unwarranted
> assumptions and conclusions about its application to the real
universe?

If it were any of these, then Le Monde would publish a formal
retraction, which would indicate that the prize was awarded, and then
subsequently withdrawn, along with the reasons for the withdrawal.

Instead, the award to Bruno Marchal is not mentioned at all:

http://www.lemonde.fr/kiosque/recherche/laureats/prix-recherche-laureats.html

> also don't rule out politics, but if the theory is clear and logical
> usually politics itself won't be able to trump that.

Exactly. Even if you don't believe Bruno about being awarded le Prix
Le Monde, it shouldn't matter, as whether or not he was awarded a
prize makes no difference as to whether his ideas are correct. To
argues otherwise is the fallacious argument from authority.

Nevertheless, the Wayback Machine has kept a copy of the original
lists of Laureats, as it appeared on 9th of August 2001:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010809221720/http://www.lemonde.fr/mde/prix/janv99.html

I think Bruno is correct that something nefarious occurred.

> So Bruno, can you give us both your side of the story and a link to the > other side as well so we can independently judge why the prize for your
> theory's paper was revoked?
>
> Thanks,
> Edgar

The other side of the story has never been made public. You can read
all about Bruno's side of the story in The Amoeba's Secret, now in English for
the first time.

My only comment is that I don't think X's hostility towards Bruno
started when he mentioned the question "Goedel?" in class. That, in
itself, should not be sufficient to earn the ire of even the most
seasoned of psychopaths. Instead, I suspect the relationship soured
badly during Bruno's end-of-studies dissertation, probably because
Bruno had an inquiring mind, and X just wanted him to focus on his own
research interests (not an uncommon occurrance - I had something
similar in my PhD, but without the consequences Bruno
faced). Nevertheless, that doesn't excuse X's actions, which remain
appalling by anyone's standard.

As to what actually happened with le Prix Le Monde - its possible
nobody will ever know. All we have are Bruno's suspicions.

Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Professor of Mathematics      hpc...@hpcoders.com.au