From: Jesse Mazer <laserma...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm
Subject: Re: The situation at Fukushima appears to be deteriorating

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 2:52 PM,  <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

Autism, schmatism. Let me address this situation in concise terms, and if you
want to discuss, we can discuss.

But you refuse to discuss the Royal Academy/National Academy of Sciences paper,
apparently (I take this as a sign that you probably recognize from my comments
that you misread it, but don't have the intellectual integrity to admit when
you've made an error).

 Here goes-
1. The models to date have not predicted successfully.

Well, yes they have, for example the first graph in the article at
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2013/02/2012-updates-to-model-observation-comparions/
 shows what the "CMIP3" dataset, which was based on collecting the predictions
of a number of different climate models, predicted for 2000 on. The gray area
shows the range in which 95% of the model simulations stayed within, and the
black line is the average prediction of all the simulated runs, you can see
that the actual climate as remained well within the gray area. Even simpler
climate models going back as far as 1988 have proved pretty accurate, for
example see the article at
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/05/hansens-1988-projections/
about Hansen's 1988 temperature predictions using a number of different
emissions scenarios--the first graph shows that actual emissions proved to be
closest to the emissions scenario he labeled "scenario B", and the second graph
shows that the actual observed temperature up to 2007 (when the article was
written), shown in red and black, hewed pretty closely to his predicted
temperature for "scenario B" in blue.

As for the recent "pause" in the warming trend over the last 15 years, this
article has good discussion:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2013/12/the-global-temperature-jigsaw/

One thing they note is that the models themselves predict pauses on those
timescales should happen occasionally, as shown in a graph of one simulated run
of a CMIP3 model in Fig. 2. They also note that the "El Nino Southern
Oscillation" (ENSO) seems to be a major factor in the pause, along with some
other factors like the recent low in solar activity and increased volcanic
activity, and Fig 3 shows the "data after adjusting for ENSO, volcanoes and
solar activity by a multivariate correlation analysis"--apparently when they
attempt to subtract these recent changes out using some statistical techniques,
the adjusted temperature in red would actually have been fairly steadily rising
over the past 15 years.

And here's another relevant article which discusses the growing consensus on
the causes of the pause, saying "A very consistent understanding is thus
emerging of the coupled ocean and atmosphere dynamics that have caused the
recent decadal-scale departure from the longer-term global warming trend":

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2014/02/going-with-the-wind/

I predict, however, that you will duck any detailed quantitative discussion of
what the models predict since you only talk about science as an afterthought,
you are mostly focused on gossipy political speculations about human
motivations.

2. We have not as of this day, a technology to replace the dirty with the clean
on energy.

Nuclear power could certainly do it (although obviously that comes with its own
risks distinct from global warming), and there's more than enough solar energy
hitting the US to supply energy needs. Here's an article discussing a
hypothetical proposal to supply *all* the U.S.'s energy needs with solar, with
a price tag of about a trillion dollars (pricey obviously, but no more so than
the Iraq war which didn't bankrupt us and probably wasn't a major cause of the
recession):
http://web.chem.ucsb.edu/~feldwinn/greenworks/Readings/solar_grand_plan.pdf

3. The elites of the world would be ordering thousands of dams/dikes all over
the world, in order to save their own asses-if your IPCC guys were really true
and, or, on time!
4. The elites are not behaving in this way, but they are declaring a disaster.
If there's no disaster at hand, they are not building dams along the coastlines
of the world, then I grow suspicious.
5. Apparently, many progressives/greens want to promote energy starvation, even
though they have no technology, except their Amory Lovins type conservations
crap from 25 years ago.
6. Which leads me to believe that because its cherry-picked data from
scientists who would have no career if they didn't go along, it is the ideology
of the progressives and the elites-mostly 1 in the same.

This all falls under "gossipy political speculations about human motivations",
I'm not interested in dragging this stuff into a conversation about natural
science (but it certainly supports my speculation that you are much more
comfortable with obsessing about why people do the things they do than you are
with discussing anything more impersonal like science and math).

Jesse